The name James is a popular one, ranking as the 9th most common name given to baby boys in the United States in 2018 and always popular in the UK too. It's a classic name with a long history. Here are 10 fun facts about the name James.
1. "James" comes from the Latin Jacomus which is derived from the Hebrew name Jacob.
2. Sir Paul McCartney's first name isn't Paul...it's James.
3. Saint James was one of Jesus Christ's twelve apostles.
4. Five kings of England have been named James including two who were King James (James I and II).
5. Several American presidents have had the name James including presidents Carter and Buchanan.
6. There have been nine popes named James including Pope James I who was pope from 576-577 AD.
7. Several saints have been named James including Saint James the Greater and Saint James the Lesser.
8. The author of the Epistle of James in the New Testament is believed to be Saint James, though this is disputed by some scholars.
9. Songs with James in the title include “Sweet Baby James” by James Taylor, Carole King, “James Dean” by Eagles, “Little James” by Oasis and “James and the Cold Gun” by Kate Bush
10. The name "James" has been used as a stand-in for generic male names since at least 1362 according to the Oxford English Dictionary. So next time you hear someone say "Jiminy Cricket!" or "Jimmy Crack Corn!" they might not be using someone's actual name but rather just a handy placeholder for any old fella'.
So there you have it, 10 quick fun facts about the name James! And for every other imaginable James fact, please take a look at our unique James Game here.