Alongside our Games with Names range, today we'll take a peek at the name Joseph.
Joseph is a popular name for grown men and baby boys. But where did the name come from? And what does it mean? Read on to find out some juicy tidbits about the name Joseph:
1. The name Joseph is of Hebrew origin and it means "God will add."
2. The name Joseph is derived from the Hebrew name Yosef, which was borne by the son of Jacob in the Bible.
3. Joseph is one of only two people in the Bible who were given privileged information about the end times by an angel.
4. In the book of Genesis, Joseph is known for correctly interpreting Pharaoh's dream, which saved Egypt from a great famine.
5. As a result of his wisdom, Joseph was made Pharaoh's chief advisor and given authority over all of Egypt second only to Pharaoh himself.
6. The coat of many colours that Jacob gave to Joseph was a sign of his favouritism toward Joseph and foreshadowed the jealousy of Joseph's brothers, which led to his being sold into slavery in Egypt.
7. While in Egypt, Joseph rose to a position of power and influence and was eventually reunited with his brothers and father when they came to live in Egypt during a time of famine.
8. Joseph is often shortened to Joe, although more and more babies are being given the name Joe outright.
9. There are 4 places named Joseph in America. There are 3 places named Joseph in Zambia. There are 2 places named Joseph in The Democratic Republic of the Congo.
10. Joseph has a feminine form - "Josephine" and one of the most famous bearers of the name was Estée Lauder who doesn't sound much like a Josephine at all....except that she was originally born with the name "Josephine Esther Mentzer"
With a rich history and meaning behind it, the name Joseph is sure to be a source of strength and joy for all who are lucky enough to have this great name.
And for every other imaginable Joseph fact, please check out our unique Joseph Game here.